Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I've Got a Golden Ticket!!! Three Rather

Tonight: Fiona Shaw in Happy Days by Samuel Becket
Saturday: Rock-n-Roll by Tom Stoppard
Feb. 14: Sunday in the Park with George by Stephen Sondheim

I'm so excited about all. I will tell you. I will tell you.

I also saw Atonement and Sweeney Todd last week.
First Impressions:
Atonement
Lots of shots of Kiera Knightly smoking. "Well, that was good, but I probably won't ever watch it again." I like the typewriters in the sound design. Good ending.
Sweeney Todd
I missed some of the notes. I did get over the fact that the cast was not made of Broadway singers...my friend did not. Helena Bonham Carter could not play Mrs. Lovette like Angela Lansbury did...she HAD to make different choices...I thought they worked. I liked the costumes. It was gory. I love when Tim Burton does vibrant colors. "By the Sea" was a fun number. Overall, liked it.

1 comment:

Kizz said...

You're the first person I've talked to that also knows the musical. I could, on some level, get over the fact that HB-C wasn't AL but I couldn't get over that she was utterly the wrong age. Her singing voice was not great and that took me in and out but I thought that, generally she was good. Depp's voice, which I love, seemed to be out of another play entirely but I still love him. I thought the highly theatrical long shots of Todd gazing into his knives or holding them up to the sun while the world went on around him were sort of hilarious. It's stuff that the script almost requires and that works on stage but that goes just over the top on film. I love that Burton made the blood its own character and the whole look was, of course, thrilling. I was surprised that Sasha Baron Cohen was fabulous! Also, I thought that changing Tobey to be a kid rather than a child-like adult didn't work.

And now I've said all that I sound really negative but they're all nitpicks and choices. I had so much fun with it and I love the show so much I really did like it.