Saturday, March 21, 2009

That's Showbiz...and maybe my longest post ever

Hey, remember when I told you I got cast on that TV show.
Somebody did cast me. When I walked in they said, "Chrome? Hi, I recognize you from the audition tape. Blah blah blah instructions, paperwork, wardrobe, make-up."
That was cool. Sitting in the make-up chair. That may have been the coolest part of the day, actually.
When we finally got to set (3 hours after call time), one of the production assistants had me miked, while the asst. director walked someone else through my blocking. I'm still not sure where the mix-up happened. There was another woman there, hired as an extra. She was sent by her agent as an extra. She did not even audition. She got my role. Somewhere along the way, things got confused and she got my part. I stood there and watched it happened. She had no idea it was happening. She was just going where she was told and thought she got a couple of lines thrown her way.
I brought it up to the prod. asst that was walking me around and he started asking questions and making phone calls to the production office while the directors pow-wowed. This is what I heard the director say: "Well, which one of them is the actress? Which one has the resume?" (And let me tell you, the answer is me. I'm not being snotty about it. True story...of the two of us, I am the actress.) Then, mumble mumble, and I hear the director say this: "It makes the joke funnier."
And I knew I no longer had my role.
See, the joke was, why is that totally hot lesbian dating her? (me frumpy lesbian)
And the extra actress was completely butchy, leather-vest, boy haircut. It was a funnier joke. And I get that. I totally get that. And they're right.
But dammit. That was my role.
Here are some things that I'm upset about:
--The other actresses (not the woman that replaced me, she didn't know) knew what was going on because we had introduced ourselves and characters. They were like, "you need to get your agent on the phone." Yeah...I don't have one. "How did you get here?" The casting director called me directly. So, I tried to call them, but only got a voicemail. I didn't have a voice in the matter. I need an agent.
--I would have rather they pulled me off set completely, but they kept me in background. I was essentially an extra (being payed as a day-player, so that's cool). However, I've been called in for this show twice. But now that I'm in the background, the definately lessens the chances of me being called in for another role this season...they just don't do that.
--When the directors started feeling bad, they decided to give me a line. Which I did. And did well. Because the show is all improv, I sort of changed the line and got a good little laugh and a thumbs up from the director. Then the sound guy said, "She's not miked. Why didn't anyone tell me she had a line?" So, they mike me to do the scene again, but someone has another idea for another character, so they take my mike off and shoot a different scene. So, there goes my line.

So, I lost my role, my credit, my pity line,(not my paycheck!!), and what I was hoping would be a solid little piece of film for a real to show agents/casting directors. And maybe the opportunity to audition for that show again. I tried to remain positive all day, but I think I might have been visibly upset a couple of times. Especially at the beginning when it started happnening and I started asking questions.

I understand why it happened. It was a funnier joke. And I love a joke.
But yesterday sucked.

3 comments:

Kizz said...

OK, yeah, it sucked but you tried to defend yourself to the best of your ability and you hung in there and kept working, really working not just phoning it in, so I'm willing to bet they'll remember you. That's a good thing. You're on the radar and you got paid for it. When do you tell us what show it was? I know I should be able to guess but I can't.

Cindy said...

Aw poop! Sorry the day sucked for you, but Kizz (as always) is right. You are awesome and it's only just a matter of time before that awesomeness is discovered by someone important.

Misti Ridiculous said...

the frustration of this whole thing is just OFF THE CHARTS. crazy. you are the portrait of grace under pressure, of dignity and professionalism. I agree with Kizz and Cindy as well. and btw...which show???
i love you sis. "hang in there"