Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Artsy

I still have paint on my fingers from last night's art party at FreeArts NYC. We were prepping projects for upcoming arts days and I chose not to wear the rubber gloves. Where's the fun in that? I sanded blocks and painted dowel rods and cut paper for three hours. I kind of wish that was my day job. It's nice to just zone out with a piece of sandpaper or a paintbrush. I love this group and have two more volunteer days with them this month. I'll probably be riding the FiveBoro for them again in May, so expect me to ask for donations in March.
I met a few new people last night and mostly we just chatted about fun stuff to do in New York for free, but there was the occasional personal inquisition.
"What do you do?"
You know what I said?
"I'm an actor."
No mention of my day-job or bartending...just, "I'm an actor."
"Oh? What kind of stuff do you do?"
"Last week I did a movie." And then they asked about that. And I told them.
"And the week before that I did a commercial." And then they asked about that. And I told them.

And all was right with the world.

...

2 comments:

Chris said...

I love it. Own that title! I think this is where many of us go wrong. We don't say what it is we are in our hearts. We say something like "I'm a bartender...who occasionally acts" when really we're the opposite of that.

Cindy said...

It feels so good being authentic to yourself doesn't it? You're amazing.