I love an adventure.
I like to walk up the sides of mountains.
I like to ride and ride and ride my bicycle. And ride it.
I like to row a canoe. Into tree limbs. And train-bridge trestles.
I like to make kites for kids.
I like to sit in hot tubs on Fire Island with drag queens.
I like to eat an occasional hot dog. (Yes. In NYC that counts as an adventure. I've seen some strange things happen at those carts.)
I like to chat with interesting strangers and take their pictures. (Lucy in the Bronx Community Garden, Fauzia the best truck cook on Governors Island, if not the world.)
I like to disco bowl in the crappy parts of Brooklyn at midnight on Saturday night and be the girl wearing the most clothing.
I chose those adventures.
I did not choose my bus adventure this morning. (Yet, I sort of wish I'd been on longer to have the full effect.)
There was erratic driving. There were jerky stops and starts. There was a spontaneous stop to let people on and off the bus one block past the bus stop...which the bus did not stop at. There was what seemed a near collision with a school bus.
There was screaming...
from the bus driver...
"I HEARD YOU!!!!" he yelled. Although, to whom is not quite clear. I looked forward to see a mother and her two children running across the street. Could have been them. Could have been a passenger standing near him. Could have been an MTA employee on the CB. Could have been the crazy in his head who was driving his bus.
That's when the ladies on the bus started jabbering.
"What's his problem??"
"He's crazy."
"He should be reported. Bus 110."
"Someone needs sensitivity training."
"Oh, this his been awful."
One woman with a toddler stood up and said, "No baby, we're going to get on a different bus."
As people exited the bus, they told all the people not to get on it...the driver had lost his mind.
I only rode the bus the ten blocks from my house to the train station, but most of these women were already seated when I boarded.
I have a feeling I missed some good stuff.
I have a feeling I missed the best adventure of the summer.
...
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I hope you were wearing your bike helmet.
I also wish that everyone in NYC was issued a Flip video camera. YouTube would be a whole lot funnier if we were.
I miss New York.
Post a Comment