Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Response

Here are a few things I was bothered by (and I realize my perception is loaded with past behaviors)
--I felt they were condescending.
--I have never disrespected his time or his space...in fact, quite the opposite...I wait until he is done in the kitchen. And have been snapped at for being in his way. And he refused to apologize for snapping at me because, "he was mad at me."
--The suggestion of money even at all sounds to me like an expectation. When I asked him about that he told me he was merely pointing out "how ungenerous he's been in the past."
--I had already spoken to SAM about it and he was fine. It was not Doober's responsibility to do so, but since he acts like the boss of the place, he did anyway. SAM went from an email to me saying "cool. I don't mean to overstate it, but just be quiet in the hallway" to the third email I got from him, which was radically different.
--As far as the building is concerned...I know all that, and I don't feel it is Doober's place to make sure I know all that. Especially in such detail. I've lived there for nine months. I know the rules.
--I told Doober when I looked at the apartment that these people would be visiting in the summer, just to make sure he was cool with that. The event should not be a surprise.
--In his overclarification of his expectations, it seems to me that my family is unwelcome in my home. And since I spent the first two months living there with him sighing at me every time I walked in the room, I am projecting that he will behave in the same manner with my mother.
--When you demand respect from a person to whom you do not give it, it makes you a jerk.

I agree he never said they could not stay. I agree he never asked for any money. But I also think he's being a jerk.

When I spoke to SAM on the phone Friday afternoon, within five minutes of talking to me his position changed from "we need to respect Doober" to "I've had to deal with emails from Doober for 2 years now. He's a dick. Don't let him win."

The whole thing is a stupid wreck.
But anyway I'm moving in a couple of months.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

The best line is that last sentence. You're paying rent. That make it your home too. Shame on him for not making you feel welcome in your own home.

Chris said...

Yay!

Chris said...

Doober gets his way too often without giving anything in return. He really needs to have his ass kicked a few dozen times.

Misti Ridiculous said...

doober is a goober who is indeed, a dick. get the F out. but first, have a fabulous time with your fam. he won't even be around much I'm sure. but if he is? I dare him to cross three Harms women. TOWANDA!

jlp said...

OK, sorry for thinking he could be trying to be reasonable. I mean I already knew he was a jerk, but in writing, those requests didn't seem like demands. But now that you've mentioned that you already a) talked to him about this before you moved in and b) talked to both of them about this at least a few times since then, it's clear that Doober needs to chill the fuck out.

Kizz said...

It's notable that SAM changed up so quick. It means you can't actually take anything he says or writes where DOOBER can hear at face value. You have to talk to him on your own. I think you're also well in the clear to remind DOOBER that you cleared this with him before you even moved in and you hope he can see his way clear to living up to the agreement made back then.

He's a dick. That's never been in dispute.

Now, concrete leaving in a couple of months plans? Is that true? YAY!