Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rainbow Post

On Saturday I went out to Fire Island for my friends' annual summer party at their fabulous beach house (53 seconds from the beach, but you can also swim in the pool in the backyard or just sit in the hot tub--what?!). I drank some drinks, I ate some eats, I laughed, I lazed.
I was one of two straight people there and the other gal stayed less than a half-hour. I was hoping to see a proposal at some point during the day, but, alas, did not. M&R have been together for 21 years and M said that they hadn't even discussed it. M&C have been together for 14 years. No proposal for them either. I wonder if that's the case with many same-sex couples....it never really seemed to much of a possibility, so it hadn't been discussed. They just move in with each other and that's the end of it.
Well, kids, in NY at least, marriage is now an option, and with that I feel compelled to tell you:

No one's going to buy the cow if they're getting the milk for free.

...

3 comments:

Gertrude said...

Joe's invested in my cow... he's been milking it for almost 2 years now. It means something to him to be engaged, get married. Its a thing. For me its less of a thing to get married... all the formality of it... is beyond me. I'm just glad he asked. That is what is important. That he'd choose me.
I think its very important that everyone have the same options if they so choose.

cindy said...

I think the Jens would be willing to marry. At least for the legal benefits. That's really the only reason I was convinced to get married. The paper and ring doesn't change the relationship.

ArtistJen said...

I would LOVE to get married. Not just for the benefits, but just for the old-fashionedness of it. I know, I made another word up. Other Jen doesn't really care one way or the other I don't think, but would totally do it for me. I'm already sewing your Ewok costume, flower girl. Can you get married under the Statue of Liberty?