Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Not Letting It Go

We all know I want out of this job. I would rather have an acting job. But this job has benefits and allows me to audition, so it's worked for me.
But lately I *really* want out of this job. Ever since the humiliation of having to sit in the office of the president of the company while he told me for 20 minutes of his concern over my weight gain.
"You are too smart of a woman to have let this happen to you."
"I know how hard it is to try on 10 pairs of pants before you can come to work in the morning."
I dislike this country's litigous nature. I don't think anyone owes me half a million dollars for telling me I'm fat. But I also think that adult men should learn how to behave. When you are making a woman who works for you cry, you don't say, "Don't look away. Look at me. Tell me what's going on with you." It borders on cruelty.
So, I'm talking to a lawyer.
And it scares me. That I may fuck up my job. And my money.

But I really hate being here.

...

6 comments:

Kizz said...

That's not OK by any stretch of the imagination. As long as you are fulfilling your duties in the position he has no right to treat you like that and it's none of his business how many pairs of pants you try on or how you feel about it. Fuck him!

Gertrude said...

Mad Men. Do you watch that? I so think it would help you to see it. its not okay. SO NOT OKAY! But at one time... it was more than okay. Isn't that strange? As women we have to endure. I like choice rather than having to do anything. Especially enduring... suffering fools.
Chin up, boobs out my lovely Hula.
You are lovely.

Cindy said...

Find a way out. Get the resume together and just start snding it out. You may be surprised.

Chris said...

Oh, yeah. Time for a change.

jlp said...

"You are too smart of a woman to have let this happen to you." What? I just...I don't even... Fuck him. Seriously. Fuck. Him.

I take it that it's too small a company to have a dedicated HR department. So talking to a lawyer is the best thing you can do right now. He needs to know that that shit is not OK, and it sounds like he didn't get the hint from your crying.

ArtistJen said...

Let me tell you a story. Yes, it's about me but I swear it relates to this topic. I have Asperger's. It's how I communicate. Sorry. Anyway, once upon a time I had this awesome job. Then they hired this guy. This guy was a misogynistic asshole. I just ignored him. Then they decided to put him on my team. I protested, but they didn't listen. Then this asshole started coming in every day & calling me stupid. He took advantage of my lack of social skills by starting conversations that he knew would make others uncomfortable, but that I would give him honest answers about. He started bullying me. Then, the last straw came about when he told me I had rape fantasies. In all the time he had been working with me, he had managed to convince my co-workers that I was a sociopath, so when I went straight to the GM to file a harassment claim I instead got told to meet with him & the asshole in his closed office. Once in the office they told me I was inappropriate, that I shouldn't start rumors, & that I was slandering asshole's name by saying things like this. For nearly 4 years I had been fighting this guy. I went from getting promotions & raises to getting evaluations that said my performance was lacking & that I was snarky. I had come home so angry some days that T wanted nothing to do with me. I got a lump in my breast & my blood pressure was out of control. I was entertaining thoughts of just ending it all. As I stood in that office I realized it was over. This guy had managed to make me look like a bad worker. He had charmed everyone. There was nothing I could do. So, I took two weeks vacation & sent T in with my key after it was over. I look back now & realize it wasn't worth it. Sure I had benefits & nearly $4,000 in my 401K. Sure I was making really good money for what I was doing. My health, my art, my psyche, my confidence, and Jen Tucker as a whole had been broken though. Who I was, who I had always been, was shattered. That was nearly 4 years ago. I am still healing. So my advice? Get the HELL out. NOTHING is worth your spark. It's just a job. So it has benefits? Is your personal creativity & light worth so little? Get the hell out. Also, I wish I had sued the pants off those bastards.