I had a letter from a lawyer on Tuesday afternoon. I didn't recognize it, but I knew it was from a law firm. My first thought was, "That boy has lost his mind. He could have just called for his bike trainer." But then I opened it.
A couple of summers ago I was visiting someone in the hospital and as I was leaving a man asked me if I could sign as witness to his client's will. He explained that it would only take a minute and that the hospital staff was not allowed to do it, and I seemed to be the only one around. So, I did. There was no reason not to. Ms. Jenkins was a lovely little 84-year old lady with thin, white hair. Both she and lawyer were very thankful and I signed my name and went on my merry way. Or as merry the path from a hospital can be.
Ms. Jenkins died last week. The letter from the lawyer was asking me to come sign an affidavit saying that I had signed the will. (He would, of course, compensate me for my time.) The letter also included the will that I had signed. I read it. Ms. Jenkins had left her estate to her sister-in-law; should her sister-in-law precede her in death, the estate would go to the children of sister-in-law.
I was deeply saddened after reading.
I have struggled all my life with Lonely.
I have never been a girl with a best friend. I have very rarely been a girl with a boyfriend. Yes, I have many dear dear friends. I have a wonderful family.
I am not, nor have I ever really been, "attached." And I have always longed to be.
It was nice this year to have one person call me every single day. It was nice to tell someone what I had made for dinner. It was nice to be partnered...to be attached...to have someone to see the everyday bits of my life.
While Mr. Lawyer and I waited for the notary public to come into his office, he spoke very kindly of Ms. Jenkins...but I get the idea he was leaving a lot of eccentricities out. She might have been fun to know. He told me of the time he had to save her from eviction (from her now-vacant, once-rent-controlled, 2-bedroom apt near Union Square....probably worth a million, he said) because she wasn't throwing out her wine bottles. She had a whole closet full of wine bottles that she was just too lazy (or embarrassed?) to throw out!
He then pushed my compensation across the desk. I had planned to refuse it. I didn't need to be paid for being a nice person. There was very little trouble taken in signing my name a couple of times. Good karma, anyway, right? But since the check for $100 was already made out, I took it.
Tonight, I am going to buy something that I do not need, but have wanted all year long.
Tonight, I am going to drink a glass of wine with Ms. Jenkins in mind.
And my toast?
Here's to finding a witness. A witness for my will. A witness to my little life.
...
Friday, February 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
To Mrs. Jenkins! Long may she wave in our hearts.
Hear! Hear! Chris just said he wants to become a professional witness. Think of the money as a reward for the good dead. Bless Mr. Jenkins.
I've always said that phrase..."a witness to my life" wanting that in a partner, but forever finding it in my friends. You've been a witness to mine.
"it's not my favorite"
"Woo Hooo St. Louis!!!"
"what is UP with the Kings hair? EVERYDAY!"
"Pizza for me and my bitches!"
no one else knows what that means. No one will laugh with me at those words...
and Yes. God Bless Mrs. Jenkins and all of her wine bottles!
Halakaleem!
i love you.
Post a Comment