Monday, August 17, 2009

Day One

No coffee is hard.
Breakfast was a banana and a peach.
Lunch was spinach lettuce with chicken, carrots, sunflower seeds, oranges, and raisins. No dressing, because almost all dressings contain something I shouldn't have...like mustard, vinegar, or creamy milk stuffs.
I was out of town all weekend playing in the woods, so hopefully when I have time to take my shopping list to the grocery store, I can better prepare for things like that.
I don't know if I'm hungry right now because I'm actually hungry, or because I didn't get to eat what I wanted.

To answer a question:
"Why was I tested?" The doctor suspected that some of my "symptoms" (i.e. "I just don't feel good.") might be food allergy related. He actually recommended the test to me the first time I walked into his office six months ago as he pointed to the bags under my eyes.
The lab that does the testing prepares a very nice booklet that, while it lists all the foods that must be eliminated from my diet, also includes a shopping list and four-day rotation diet plan, so that my body doesn't get too used to anything and develop a new intolerance.
I'm supposed to stick to the rotation/elimination diet hardcore for three-four months, then I can start to add things back in...but only a little...like every fourth day I can eat something with wheat in it...not every day.

I've looked into gluten-free cooking (including beer), but it also has to be yeast free and that's where it gets a titch more difficult. Beer is pretty much off-limits. I'm actually not too worried about the beer.
My yeast sensitivity is the culprit here. No more cheese, yogurts, teas, or chocolates, because yeasts are used to make those things...well...delicious.

It will get better, I trust. But this is Day One. And Day One is making me cranky.

...

5 comments:

Cindy said...

I did a cleansing diet for a week last year that was no animal products, sugar, alcohol, caffeine or gluten. The first two days were the worst. Try looking for red tea http://www.republicoftea.com/templates/detail.asp?navID=316

It was something hot to drink at breakfast that took the place of my coffee.

Gertrude said...

I'd love to see the list and what they have told you to eat and what to not eat.
I know that would involve a whole lot of typing.
You have my culinary support.
Giving up things at first is very hard... your brain is not hard wired to quit things.
But soon... you will find confidence and appreciate the "high" feeling that comes from controlling yourself.
At least I do. And we are somewhat wired the same.
Spices? I mean just spice the shizzle out of everything you eat! If you can, it helps!

Kizz said...

You are power, through and through. That's a lot of work you have cut out for yourself and you're doing it right out of the gate! Keep us posted.

Gertrude said...

Yes, I can open a PDF. I think it would be interesting reading and I spend so much damn time at the Grocery store...Wholy Foods! May be I can offer some insight...may be I can glean some from you.
Do you have my email? Alcilc22@gmail.com

Misti Ridiculous said...

I'm happy to know that at the very least you got that booklet and rotation...I'd be lost even with it. You are fabulous. I hope that you start feeling immensely better so that you feel the payoff is worth it...